Recipes so simple, even I can do it.

Friday, November 14, 2014

Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup



adapted from Rachel Ray's Smoky-Spicy Sweet Potato Soup

Soup is not something that I normally love. Don't get me wrong. I do like soup. But it has to be good. Really good, in order for me to enjoy it. However, I love sweet potatoes, I love bacon (who doesn't!?) and I love spicy stuff. So I decided to give this recipe a whirl. And if you don't don't like bacon or want a vegetarian version, just don't add the bacon as a garnish. Easy Peasy.



My rating: 
After a few minor adjustments, this soup has become my favorite soup ever. Seriously. I like my soup to be chunky and I love cheese, so I added feta and extra bacon. I have already made this soup three times since I first found the recipe three months ago. However, I don't recommend this as a family meal, unless of course your kids like hot stuff. It definitely has a kick to it! 



Ingredients
  • 4 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • salt to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 2 teaspoons of adobo sauce
  • 5 sprigs of thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 Tablespoons milk (I used 1%, but you could use anything)
  • 1 teaspoon grated peel and juice of 1 orange
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • pepper
  • sour cream, bacon bits and feta cheese, for garnish

Instructions
  1. In a large saucepan, add the sweet potatoes and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, add salt and cook until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
  2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil, add the onion, carrot, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Cook until the onions are softened, 6-7 minutes. 
  3. Stir in the chicken broth, water, orange peel, orange juice and cinnamon.Simmer about 5 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
  4. Add the broth mixture to the sweet potatoes in the pot and puree with an immersion blender (you could also use a full size blender) Stir in milk.
  5. Serve the soup with a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle bacon and feta cheese on top. 




No comments:

Post a Comment